Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Tribe has spoken...

... you are the Weakest Link. (Am I mixing up game shows here?)

Ok, I'm being mean. Nikki wasn't kicked out, she was let go of with much sorrow and heartbreak. And so the Tribe is down to 2 active members.

Because I moved to a 1-bedroom apartment from a shared house with a big backyard, I've had to think about giving poor Nikki away for adoption. Being a Beagle, she's very high-energy and needs space to run around, so it isn't exactly fair to have her in the apartment especially during the colder months when we can't be outdoors too much.

Nikki
Nikki under the doona when she was younger

The problem was that I didn't want to give her to just anyone. I needed to be sure that her new family would treat her with as much care and pay as much attention to her as she's used to. I can't stand families that just have the dog in the back yard for the sake of having a dog, and pay little attention to it. Both the little ones sleep in bed with me (even when there's *ahem* company over) and we all wake up in a tangle of limbs in the morning, so I couldn't imagine what it would be like for her to be kept outdoors permanently.

Anyway, the answer came when a good friend of mine had to put her family beagle down due to old age. They have a big back yard, they're used to beagles, my friend goes running every day, and they have someone home nearly all the time because her mum doesn't work! Also, they're a warm caring family and had already noticed a hundred little things about Nikki's personality in a couple of days.

So Nikki's got a new home and is better off for it. Now I've got to resist the urge to visit every weekend!

Sasha misses Nikki
Sasha misses Nikki already.
(Sorry for the mess of wires behind her head!)


Posted in the-tribe

1 comment:

Lil Mizfit said...

u made a tough decision but ofcourse, for her own good. *sigh* i wud have loved to adopt her... :(