Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I can see the starting line!

Jumping through hoopsYes, I know the saying is "finish line" and not starting line, but then it wouldn't make all that much sense now, would it?

So the last counselling session at The Gender Centre was pretty much a waste of time and left me in a bit of a funk three weeks back, making me feel like I'm going nowhere with this. It was such a let-down that I didn't know what to expect from today's session. However, it turned out infinitely better than the last time, and it looks like I'll soon be getting an official green light to move on with things! More specifically, I feel that I'm getting close to getting that all-important presciption for T - that precious Essence of Man (eeewwww!!!). Just a couple more hoops to jump through!

Corporate hoop Rant: What is it with the world nowadays and processes? I mean, I'm an engineer so I understand the importance of protocol and processes, but are we taking things too far? Are we expecting such high safety standards that we expend too many resources and put things on hold for too long? Recently we had 2 coal miners trapped underground when a part of a coal mine in Tasmania collapsed. Both men escaped none the worse for wear, but the furor over the incident was embarassing. These 2 men weren't heroes, they were just lucky that they were in a reinforced cage-like structure during the collapse. While they were underground, they were supplied plenty of food, protection from the cold and harmful gasses, and even luxury items such as chocolate, beer and mp3 players! Now the mine will be shut down and repercussions will be felt across mines all over the country. It's a fuckin' coal mine! Danger is a part of the job! Are we that surprised that this happened?!

Tying this back to the topic, us trans-people are made to jump through so many hoops because of the few who were either dumb enough transition without thinking it through, or couldn't take the responsibility for being in a difficult situation and chose to point fingers instead. Is it really the health care professional's fault that the person regretted undergoing hormone therapy/surgery? How much caution must the psych take in determining whether a candidate is lying or unsure about the things s/he says?

Once again, the masses pay for the mistakes of a few.

Posted in counselling, transition, rant

3 comments:

Lil Mizfit said...

i am glad that u r closer to the starting line than u had ever been...the entire process is scary for me. i often think abt it though and i catch myself wondering...what if this is not what i want.
that 'if' stops me...

Rejkyvik said...

No fucking kidding huh? I mean Jezzzus! i understand wanting people to be sure that they arent being crackheads and doing this on a whim.....

But BLOODY HELL! dont you think it'd be relatively simple for a trained professional psych... to "diagnose a GID candidate"..... someone who's infact trans..... vs someone who isnt.....????

I know..... takes fucking forever doesnt it?

Nick said...

Hey Archangel!!! Haven't heard from you in ages buddy! I'll send you an e-mail with the new address I'm using, hope things are going well!