Thursday, January 19, 2006

Visit to the doc

My new doctor's extremely nice, and makes an effort to have me feel comfortable around him. Got my blood taken today (good thing I'd anticipated this and not eaten, as one of the tests required a 12-hour fast prior), and the results will be in by Monday next week. I'm also supposed to get a pelvic ulstrasound done, but the facility I've been referred to is booked out till the day I have to leave, so I'll get that done when I'm back in Sydney.

Before going in today, I'd thought about whether to tell my doc about my decision to start transition. I'd decided that I wouldn't do so until the blood results came back since it has no effect on my current condition, and would give me some time as to suss this guy out. To be honest, after this first visit, I don't think I'll be switching to a lady doctor as previously planned.

We'd talked about the various symptoms I was having, such as the weight gain, feeling tired, disruption in my menstrual cycle. I also told him about my dry skin, hair growth and testosterone levels in my previous test, and he gave me a quick talk about androgens and such. In any case, we'll wait till the blood tests come back before jumping to any conclusions.

Oh yeah - if it turns out that I do have a thyroid or adrenal gland dysfunction, I will be referred to an endocrinologist. It'll give me a chance to make some progress in this transition thing, as I'll probably have an appointment for the day after my visit to the counsellor. Woot!

No comments: