Saturday, January 07, 2006

Burnt bridges? (Permanent effects of transitioning)

Ok, so I've got a preliminary plan for transitioning. Now, what happens if hell freezes over and I change my mind about wanting to live as a man? Or say I can't afford to stay on T. Here's a list of what will/not change if one stops taking T, taken from Hudson's Guide:

  • Voice - Will stay at the pitch level it was at when T was stopped.
  • Facial/Body hair - Hair that has grown in will continue to grow, but no more hair will start coming in.
  • Clitoris - Will stay at the size it has grown to
  • Body shape - Will revert to feminine body fat distribution
  • Head hair - Hair that has been lost will most likely not grow back
  • Acne - May lessen
In addition, I suspect that things like the thickening of one's skin and the growth experienced in the hands and feet will most likely remain. Also, I expect that the "male" features developed in the face will not go away. Of course, whether or not the ovaries have been removed play a large factor in how your body reacts to stopping T.

Conclusion: Not too bad actually. I'd have to shave a little more often, but electrolysis is an option if it's too bothersome. I have quite a girlish high-pitched voice at the moment even though I lower it quite a bit, so a deeper voice will most likely not bother me. Also, I've got a full head of full-bodied hair that grows in very thick, so a little thinning again will not be the end of the world.

More bothersome I suspect would be the potential androgeny - male facial features and voice, but female-ish body shape (flat-chested if top surgery done). Don't get me wrong - I *love* androgenous-looking women, but having to deal with being called "sir" sometimes and "ma'am" othertimes, as well as the puzzled looks when people are trying to figure out how to address you will most likely be a pain to someone who's transitioned once and then transitioned back.

! Disclaimer ! It may be ofensive to some that I've commented on "changing one's mind" on transitioning. I personally believe that no FtM would deny himself the chance to be a man, but technology and medicine at this time does not make the transition an easy one, and hence many FtMs may simply be unable or unwilling to cope with the difficulties be they social, physical or financial. Plus, young people considering starting their transition should really think long and hard about whether they are truly FtM or simply going through a rebellious/confusing stage, and this post aims to contribute to the considerations one should make.

Posted in personal, transition

No comments: