Saturday, January 21, 2006

A sister in kind

"I felt that in wishing so fervently, and so ceaselessly, to be transplanted into a girl's body, I was aiming only at a more divine condition, an inner reconciliation." pg.18

"I did not know exactly where it was - in my head, in my heart, in my loins, in my blood." pg.14, about his early desire to have a woman's body.

"At other times I thought it might all be resolved by suffering, and when I sat in the dentist's chair, or lay miserable in the sickroom, or was being urged to be first off the diving-board into the cold pool, I called into play arcane formulae of my own" ... "I was really ticking off each moment of unhappiness as a contribution towards my release" ... pg.24

"I felt that there were Powers waiting to help me, some day. I did not despair, and being by temperament a cheerful child, and by circumstance a lucky one, I conditioned myself to cherish my secret more as a promise than a burden." pg.26

- A couple of quotes from Jan Morris' (born James Humphrey Morris) autobiographical account "Conundrum".

Posted in quotes

2 comments:

Rejkyvik said...

dont think ive read that book.

Nick said...

Found it in a library - don't know if many people would find it easy to sit through it. Just found a few bits that I especially liked and identified with, so I thought I'd put it up.