Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Game of Life

Today was the first time I'd played tennis in a long while... and had fun. I can't really remember the last time I didn't spend 95% of my time on the court beating myself up and the other 5% trying to play shrink to my doubles partner. Maybe the counsellor was right - taking some time off from as many responsibilities as I could would be good for my soul.

5 years ago I'd play tennis nearly every day. Then came all the small responsibilities... they'd snuck up on me, one by one, until I got to the point where I'd be lucky if I did anything recreational in a week. And so my physical conditioning took a plunge, as well as my emotional health I suppose - I'm sure I could have been a real bitch to people who'd made my work just that bit tougher.

So I'd play social comps on Saturdays, beat myself up for the 5 hours for being unfit, for not playing anywhere near my potential, or for just choking away a 5-2 lead. I'd then spend the rest of the weekend obsessing with everything I did wrong, every single point that I should have done something different. I'd start to get over it by Monday morning, but the feeling loomed over me all week that the following Saturday would be different - I'd play aggressive when I had to, play the percentages when the time came, and not be so lazy on my feet. But the same things would happen, I'd get more aggravated as the day went on, and we'd be back to square one.

So I can seriously say that tennis was actually fun yesterday. I played my arse off, and can't think of a single thing I would've changed (except maybe my first serve percentage). Everyone who's known me long enough said that they hadn't seen me cream that forehand like that in years, and those who have only known me in recent years were amazed at how aggressive and effective I was at the front of the court. That felt real good. Even my shots felt real good, I was totally focused and knew exactly what to do on each point.

I can feel it... my game's coming back. We're playing on my turf now.

Clark Kent by day...
An occasion to break out the Superman Shorts


Posted in ala-mode, sunshine

No comments: