Monday, February 27, 2006

I'm back! part III: In Good Company

I did manage to meet a good friend of mine several times when I was home. J was my best friend in Year 3 of school, but we were separated into different classes after that, and had different friends for a while after that. We became thick as thieves again in Year 7 through the rest of our school days, especially in our final 2 years, where we were the closest among our group of 5.

J recently came out to our group of friends as a lesbian, and as a result, I'd come out to her myself, first as a lesbian and then later as a transsexual, which made us even closer even though we're a continent apart. So she'd offered to show me around when I got back, and introduce me to her queer circle of friends.

I must say that I found this group of crazy individuals extemely nice and side-splittingly funny. Some were highly intelligent and up on current events, others were just looking for a few good laughs among friends, while yet others were out for a buzz and a good time. The one thing they all had in common was that they were all confident of themselves, and had no qualms with talking about their love for women. This is extraordinary as they live in a society that will not accept their homosexuality, and most have parents that would certainly disown them should they know of their child's activities.

One other thing I'd noticed when I'd gone back - the city and shopping malls were littered with very androgynous and gender-bending individuals (using the word "littered", I don't mean to imply that these people are rubbish). This was extraordinary as my understanding was that most people could not distinguish between sexuality and gender identity, so these people would have a very clear idea of what they wanted from themselves, despite living in a rather traditional environment! Indeed, most of the lesbians that I'd met believed that the "maleness" in them caused them to be homosexual, and this was culminated in the fact that I saw perhaps 30 butch lesbians for every femme one that I saw. I even saw lots of butch-butch pairings, perhaps from those driven to desperation in finding a partner and not really understanding that that girl in the frock could actually be interested in girls as well.

In any case, I'm glad that J has a great bunch of friends and group support that can understand where she's coming from. I can't wait for the next time I come home to meet the bunch again!

Posted in friends, personal, community

No comments: