Friday, September 01, 2006

Spring is in the air!

Well, we've officially seen the first day of spring, and we couldn't see a more perfect start to the new cycle of the seasons. The flowers are already in full bloom, the weather's just perfect to spend the day outdoors, and the bees are hard at work doing what they do best.

I've been living my weeks walking around in a daze, surrounded by a haze of puppy love. Or at least that's what it feels like. My thoughts are consumed entirely by her, my hours are filled with thoughts of how wonderful it would be the next time we see each other. *sigh* To be young and in love during the season of young love... how cliché. I think there's even a slight spring in my step despite the the now full-blown rider's swagger that I've unfortunately developed.

The other big news from me is that I've been given the official green light to start with hormone therapy!!! It's pretty big news, so I thought I'd keep it in a separate post for the sake of being organised.

The only low point in the past few weeks was falling really sick a week-and-a-half ago, with the flu. Now I consider myself pretty tough when it comes to handling ailments and injuries, but this one hit me like a ton of bricks. I'd felt a little "off" all that day, but figured that I was just coming down with a cold, so I kept drinking lots of fluids and keeping myself warm to keep it under control. Then at about 10.30 that night, while I was home alone, my temperature suddenly spiked, my sinuses blocked up completely and my glands around my neck swelled up uncomfortably. Now, I usually avoid taking any kind of medication as much as possible, but I figured now would be a good time to look through the tons of pills and ointments that my dad packs for me every other year or so when I see my parents.

The Dreaded FluAnyway, apart from the delirious fever and general discomfort of simultaneously not being able to breathe through my nose while trying to nurse a sore throat, what really got to me was the partial loss of hearing I experienced (and am still recovering from!) from having blocked ears. What really got to my parents was the fact that I'd nearly completely lost my voice for a couple of days, which made it difficult for me to convince them that I wasn't dying from some super-flu or meningococcal virus.

The nice part of all of this was that I got to stay home and watch DVDs all day in between of falling in-and-out of sleep, while trying to respond to all the sms-es coming through on both mobiles phones. I managed to get up-to-date on every season of Arrested Development (hilarious! Almost as good as Curb Your Enthusiasm), House and Scrubs, so that was fun. Heck, if you're going to be quarantined from all human contact with a highly contagious virus, there's no better way to spend it than soup and DVDs, is there?

Posted in oats, ala-mode

No comments: