Thursday, April 20, 2006

T therapy here I come!

Went to see Gaye yesterday, and had another great session. I felt that we got to know each other a little better this time around. Although the session wasn't as ground-breaking as the earlier ones, it certainly went well as she knew the background to a lot of the things I wanted to say to her, so I had to sidetrack less this time around and could make my statements/points a lot more directly.

The great thing is that near the end, she said that she's convinced that I know myself well, and that she trusts me to make the decisions as to what's best for me. We talked about starting T therapy, and she said that it may be a good idea to wait till my next session (she gave me a few things to think about in the meantime) before getting that crucial appointment with the psychiatrist (for the T prescription). She then asked when I thought the next appointment should be, i.e. when I think I'd be fully ready to start T therapy. Of course, I laughed and said that I was ready when I was born. In fact, I told her that I'd been having these "excitement attacks" while waiting for this appointment to arrive, and often felt that I'd explode if I didn't get T straightaway.

I suppose that she was also impressed that I'd resisted the urge to utilise "alternative methods" of accessing T, and instead wanted to do this "the right way". She suggested 3 weeks from yesterday, which reminded me that my birthday is coming in 4 weeks. She thought that it would be a significant event and that I should come after that, so I took a deep breath, hesitated for a few seconds, then said, "I think we should leave it to 5 weeks from [yesteray]. If I don't have any doubts in that time frame, then I know that I cannot possibly regret this decision." DOOFUS! =)

I'm not sure what the usual practice is, but I feel that she'd probably vouch for my candidacy for T therapy in her referral to the psych. At the very least she might refer me to one who's more empathetic and likely to help the cause. But of course, this is probably wishful thinking.

There were some things from yesterday's session that I'd wanted to note down in this blog, but I might leave them for another post later. For now, I'm going to enjoy my new tv for a while!

Posted in counselling, transition

No comments: